Thursday, July 02, 2009

Saraychev Peak is awesome, as are fast-on-the-shutter astronauts

From Bad Astronomy (one of my favorite blogs)
comes a time-lapse series of Saraychev Peak erupting
and wow is this cool. You've seen the photo series, I suppose. This one is run back and forth, looped, run in slow motion, run in slow motion with the pyroclastic flows highlighted .... it's a two-and-a-half-minute video, but I stared at it all the
way through, then ran back over the most compelling bits, then ran it all way through again.

It's worth spending some time with. I just wish the series were longer, that we could watch the
ash bloom further out of the side of the cloud the eruption created as it pushed air into a colder layer.

I guess asking the ISS to stop for a few minutes so the astronauts could take more pictures would have been asking too much.



(Note: It's got some interesting music attached. I'm sure the video won't take offense if you watch it without sound on.)

No comments: