2009-05-18 Rachel showing USGS stuff to Girl Scouts (6)
Originally uploaded by juverna.
Rachel (in 4th grade) was among the friends I went to the USGS open house with. She collected a bunch of material -- geologic maps, mineral posters, bookmarks, stamps, anything sciencey and interesting -- at the open house, and showed it to her Girl Scout friends, and they were fascinated.
Rachel is a science geek, and an interesting kid. Her Girl Scout friends rock.
There are a lot of good reasons for girls to participate in Scouting, if they can find a good troop:
- Girl Scouts don't require religious attachment or belief.
- Girl Scouts encourage girls to be bold and adventurous, to be smart, and independent.
- Girl Scouts have fun.
- Girl Scouts don't discriminate on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Girl Scouts work on environmental awareness.
- Girl Scouts learn science.
What else rocks about Girl Scouting?