Sunday, December 14, 2008

2008 AGU fall meeting -- tomorrow morning!


seismologists are sinners
Originally uploaded by volcanojw.
I'll be at the American Geophysical Union fall meeting in San Francisco all week, from early morning to late afternoon. I'm not an expert on anything, I'm just an earth sciences fangirl (and beyond, the AGU meeting covers most aspects of physical geography as well as solar system science) and struggled to list a primary interest at all. So far, going through the schedule and trying to establish an itinerary has been a huge challenge. There are, in some slots, two or three oral presentations and fifty or more poster sessions that I want to visit. I picked a lot of them by doing searches on "california," "san francisco," "bay area," "climate change," and "serpentine" -- then filled it in with whatever caught my eye. I'm trying to be firm with myself, then just make some last minute decisions while I'm there.

I'll blog, but I'm not sure how yet. I can either figure out how to mobile blog to this journal from my phone and do lots of small entries, or (and this is more likely) just use twitter a lot, and phone pictures to flickr or twitpic, and take pictures with my regular camera for later, then once or a few times over the course of the week, amalgamate those into a proper entry. Or maybe I'll do both. Do you have a preference?

Is there anything you'd specifically like me to explore, photograph, or write about for this blog, from the AGU meeting?

If not, my posts are likely to make it clear that I'm running around like the proverbial kid in the candy shop, licking everything and putting it back.

If I see the "seismologists are sinners" guy, I'll get a picture of him.

4 comments:

wintersweet said...

Ooh, have fun! Don't forget to check for cancelled and relocated sessions. :D Either way you blog it is fine with me.

(I don't remember if you've gone to many conferences before, but my best tip is to sit near the back so you can leave discreetly if you wind up in a real clunker.)

Mary said...

Thank you, I've been to other types of conferences (specifically, early childhood) but this one is *huge* compared to anything I've attended before, they've had 10k+ people in the past. Thanks for the advice in watching for relocated things, I only have so much physical energy to chase events down. :)

Caramida said...

I learned this morning (though in retrospect, I should have expected so) that my good friend Chris, a Ph.D. candidate at Texas A&M, will be attending. If you want to chat with a tectonics expert, I'm sure I can put you two in touch. I gather that his schedule is pretty open until he presents on Friday morning, so he might be happy to catch a session with you.

McMoots said...

Plan to take a stroll through at least one education poster session - it almost doesn't matter which. The pedagogy folks put so much more time into creating engaging posters than the pure sciencey scientists!